The Winners of the Nitey Awards were announced last night in a festive almost Oscars styled ceremony at the Regency Ballroom. I must say being present at this event was a very enjoyable evening out. The gala was attended by the who’s who of the Industry, when outside of L.A. that stands for people who work in the Service Industry. Owners, bartenders, wait staff, bussers, bar backs & even the doormen & women all dressed up or down and in unusual twist, bartenders actually outnumbered the catering staff at the Regency.
Event Organizers Jocelyn Kane, Audrey Joseph, Kevin Casey, Mark Rennie & Jon Morris chose a American Horror Story theme & all the above & the rest of the catering staff were dress accordingly, from killer phyco nurses, crazy clowns to two headed circus freaks & they put a lot of effort into their costumes, even the decor & pulled it off nicely. There was even a snake tamer with a live snake & yes i stroked it.
Categories representing the best in San Francisco nightlife will be Judged by industry professionals during site visits and based on a variety of criteria including but not limited to: Uniqueness and Quality of Creative Concepts, Staff, General Hospitality, Ambiance, Beverage and Menu Creativity, Sound, Lighting & Value Delivered for Patron Experience, there was also an open to the public voting section for a few of the categories. Voting was allowed until the end of January.
Entertainment was not limited to the two very funny hosts, Veronica Klaus, Gypsy Love, DJ Ms. Leah Jackson & Dance Music Diva Caroline Lund all put on a great show along with several other artists who also performed.
Event organiser Jocelyn who is Executive Director of San Francisco’s Entertainment Commission, which is charged with ensuring the health and vitality of indoor and outdoor entertainment venues in the City took to the stage at the end & received a warm round of applause, one can tell she is well like by those in the industry.
The Nitey Awards only began three years ago, but if last night was anything to go by its going to get bigger & better as the years go on. All in all, what a great evening out.
Here’s a list of the 2015 winners
1. Best Happy Hour – Novela
2. Best Irish Bar – Blackthorn Tavern
3. Best Neighborhood Bar – Riptide
4. Best Sports Bar – Hi Tops
5. Most Notable Drag Queen – Arturo Galster/Patsy Cline (in memoriam)
6. Best Gay Bar – Lookout
7. Best Mixologist – Evans Horn of Dobb’s Ferry
8. Best Club Promoter – Ankh Marketing
9. Best Hotel Bar – Americano (Vitale)
10. Best Adult Entertainment – Gold Club
11. Best Cocktail Lounge – Smuggler’s Cove
12. Best Gay Dance Club – Beaux
13. Best New Venue – Masonic Auditorium
4. Best Small Dance Club – Cat Club
15. Best Large Dance Club – DNA
16. Best Variety of Offerings – The Chapel
17. Best Small Live Music Venue – Bottom of the Hill
18. Best Large Live Music Venue – Fillmore
19. Marquee Award – KUSF in Exile